Monday, May 4, 2015

Lord of Flies Review


Title: Lord of the Flies
Author: William Golding
Rating: 4.5/5

Goodreads Review:
I think this might be my favourite classic so far! It reminded me a lot about LOST and how they were when they first got to the island. The characters were amazing and I often wondered which character I would be if I were to get into a situation where I was stranded. 
Golding's writing invites people to place themselves in the shoes of others and in unthinkable situations. Would you be the leader like Ralph? The voice of reason like Piggy? The dictator like Jack? The psychopath like Roger? The victim like Simon? Or will you be a follower? So many characters are rolled up in one small book to summarize the one thing that humanity has yet to defeat.

Themselves.

Additional Thoughts:
The reasoning behind my 4.5 instead of a 5 is simply because I thought the ending was brought on too quickly and personally, I just didn't like the ending. I felt as though Golding just wanted to end the story or that he couldn't think of anything more to write. I loved that Ralph lived, but there could have been more hype surrounding the rescue. Not to mention that surely when he heard that two boys had been killed, the officer would have had more of a reaction than what he had. Perhaps I'm just picking on small things, but it just really bothered me.

No comments:

Post a Comment