Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Tiny Pretty Things (ARC) Review


Title: Tiny Pretty Things
Author(s): Sona Charaipotra and Dhonielle Clayton
Rating: 3.5 or 4/5 (can't decide)
Release date: 5/26/15

Goodreads Review:
Bette is a drama queen, she is the top dog, the star of stars...until Gigi wins the spot that she so rightfully deserved. Or at least that's what she says.

Gigi is the outcast. She is shy and expects to not get a very big part in...well...anything. Until she gets the lead in the upcoming performance. It's not what she expected.

June has it all planned out. She knows who's getting what and she's completely focused on what she needs to do...there's only one problem...she never thought about what part she would get.

These two lovely authors convey a great message about the cutthroat world of ballerinas and dance. Sure, dance is fun and people love to do it, but what do you do when you work your whole life for dancing and dedicate hours of practice just to be ridiculed by your peers and driven mad with harassment and rumors!? This book is the epitome of drama in...drama! I used to do ballet and I would never think that the soft, pink world of pointe shoes and tutus would be this savage and chaotic!
I simply couldn't sympathize with Gigi. I know I was supposed to, but dang she was a showoff. Maybe I'm the only one, but I almost liked Bette more. Although, I would have loved to have the whole book (or a portion) from Cassie's point of view. Cassie might have only been in the story a short amount of time, but geez I really liked her character. In my mind, June could have been almost completely eliminated and it would not have effect the book at all.
Overall, I'm thrilled to have gotten a review copy (a signed one nonetheless) of this amazing book. I recommend this to lovers of theatre and dance...or just drama. Lots and lots of drama.

Additional Thoughts:
I struggle with rating this. I feel like I didn't love it enough to make it a 4, but I also feel that 3.5 is too low. The book was amazing, don't get me wrong. I read the whole thing in a day, but it just wasn't as interesting as I would have hoped in some parts and the genre in general isn't my favourite, so I wasn't as into it as I would have liked.

Next I'll be Reading: The Ice Twins by S.K. Tremayne

No comments:

Post a Comment