Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Red Queen Review

Hello all! I recently read Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard and it was amazing! Unlike most books, I went into this book thinking I probably shouldn't take my usual route of skipping boring parts and going straight to dialogue, but I guess I didn't really need to motivate myself, because there really wasn't ever a dull moment. I finished Red Queen in a day, not only because I was in a 5 books, 5 days read along, but also because it was extremely interesting and I quite literally could not put it down. I find that most people end up talking about the betrayal in this book and I knew, I just knew when Julian said "Anyone can betray anyone" that it was going to be the one quote that would haunt me through the entire book and boy was I right. I'll be honest , though, when Julian made that statement, part of me assumed that he would be the one to betray everyone, but I should have known based on everyone's reactions to this book that it couldn't possibly be that simple and easy to guess. I was caught too off guard and that will without a doubt follow me until the next book is in my hands and maybe even after that. 
Out of the entire book, I only really hated two characters, Evangeline and Elara (hmm...both start with E....). I really liked Maven (shhh) and I had my ups and downs with Cal. I like how for this book, the love triangle is somewhat not talked about (can I call it a love triangle?), maybe because it's confusing or maybe because it simply isn't important to the story, but I'm going to bring it up anyway. In the beginning, I really liked Cal and Mare together and then I liked Mare and Maven and now I'm just like "heck with it, I'll just wait for next year!"
Overall, this book is definitely a favourite for 2015 (if not a favourite overall), it brought me out of a reading slump, although I'm afraid it might have thrown me into a deeper one. Amazing debut, Miss Aveyard, I hope we hear much more of you and your books in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment