Monday, August 20, 2018

Another Day by David Levithan - Review

29429383
Title: Another Day
Author: David Levithan
Series: Every Day #2
Release date: August 25th, 2015
Rating: 5/5

**SPOILERS Y'ALL**

It has been a hot minute since I read a book that I genuinely thought I should write a review about, so here we go.

As a refresh of book one, Every Day is told from the perspective of A. A wakes up every morning in the body of a different person.  It's all they have ever known. Then, Rhiannon comes along. And for all of my Fleetwood Mac lovers out there, you know it changes everything.

Book two is Every Day but from Rhiannon's perspective. Now, it has been a good long while since I read the first book, but 4 pages in I was already caught up and hooked.

Let's just take a second to put yourself in A's shoes. A new body, new life? Sure, why not? Then you start to realize "Well then who do I talk to every day? My family? My friends?" This is exactly why my heart twists for poor A and Rhiannon just doesn't make it any better.

Right away, we are thrown into her relationship with her boyfriend, Justin, and he is just...so unlikable. It's one of those moments where you wish you could reach through the pages and grab Rhiannon by the shoulders, shaking her, and yelling "You cannot fix this!" Professionally, I don't think it is technically considered domestic abuse, but it's clear that she's grasping at straws to be with him.

The concept of a person like A is my favourite aspect of this series. The part that keeps echoing in my mind is when A finally tells Rhiannon that he jumps from body to body every day and she asked: "Are you a boy or a girl?" And A just kind of frowns: "I don't see myself as either." Don't mind my completely paraphrased quotes, but it's such a forward way of thinking that, as a reader, also causes me to think about how I would respond in that situation. A new body every day means different genders, different nationalities, different races, different body types, and poor A, who seriously deserves a break at this point, just can't seem to grasp why it matters to her what the body looks like when it's just A on the inside. That is heavy and poetic.

But it does matter, doesn't it? We all just see the outer surface, never looking past the shell and looking at the person on the inside. Be careful, a book like this might actually make you a better person! And seeing Rhiannon's preferences actually have an effect on A and how he/she feels about the body he/she is in is earth-shattering.

The ending is where this all gets a little iffy. Rhiannon can't be with A, because it's too complicated (too cliche?) and because she can't connect with some of the bodies A has (wears?). And A is such a delicate being that needs to be guarded and protected, because no matter how heartbroken and torn down he/she feels about their "breakup", he/she goes completely out of their way to find a guy he/she finds suitable for Rhiannon.

This book is just so good. Seriously, it left me thinking so much and I have no one to talk to about it. Someone, please talk to me about it.

Another Day is all about being better/caring more about yourself and accepting those around you for who they are. In reality, personality is all that should really matter to ANY of us! And it is all about breaking free from those people that are holding you back from being the best you you can be.

*casually adds book to Goodreads "favourite" shelf*

No comments:

Post a Comment