Friday, January 22, 2016

Book vs. Movie - The 5th Wave

**WARNING: MAY WILL CERTAINLY CONTAIN SPOILERS**

It's not often that I can come out of a book-adapted movie and say "Well, that was pretty darn close." and I like to think that this was one of those times. 
Having only read the book last month, I still had the events (and most of the details) fairly intact. One thing I don't understand about the movie, however, is that they managed to change things, but still make it work with the book. For example, the very first thing I noticed was different from the book was when Sam got on the school bus to go to the military base. So, here's a few things I noticed overall.

1. In the book, Sam got on the bus by himself and decided to give Cassie Bear, so that she could give it back to him when they were reunited. In the movie, Cassie got off the bus to get Bear and missed the bus, leaving her stranded with the adults. It's not even a big deal. It didn't cut the time or add time to the movie in any way, so I don't know why they even bothered with the change.

2. Another small detail that I may or not have mixed up is when the military destroys the refugee camp.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure in the book they bombed the camp and Cassie and her father got away, only to be cornered and eventually her father was shot. In the movie, they just shot up the whole camp in a barn, including Cassie's father, leaving her to see the bodies, taking a gun, and then leaving.

3. Evan claims that he did not shoot Cassie in the leg. This one bothers me a little. In the book, he shot her, then he helped her. In the movie, he shot the guy that shot her and then helped her. It might seem mild, but it's the thought that counts.

Anything else that was mildly changed didn't effect me in any shape or form, so those were the ones that stuck out. Next, are some things I noticed that just threw me off or bothered me more than they should.

1. Evan and Cassie don't get to share their little spiritual connection. Makes me sad.

2. People manage to have makeup on the whole time. Honestly, it's the apocalypse. Ringer has black eye shadow and eye liner one every second she's on screen and I don't understand how that's possible. Cassie is seen multiple times with perfect nail polish. When are these people finding the time for luxuries?

3. Ben claims he's the one that knew about the military being taken over by others, not Ringer. Tsk tsk tsk. This will make so many people mad that are all about Ringer being a powerful woman, but I just don't get what purpose it serves to change who said the quote.

4. Ben recognized Cassie as someone from his high school. Book Ben was so clueless as to who Cassie was when they first ran into each other that it was kind of sad, but movie Ben knew exactly who she was. Weird.

Overall, though, this was a great movie. I'd probably rate it about a 4.5/5. Much like the book. I certainly recommend!

No comments:

Post a Comment