Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Author Interview - Elise Kova

Author Elise Kova took time out of her busy schedule to answer a few questions I had for her!

What was your inspiration for Air Awakens and the series as a whole?
Music is influential in my writing process, it helps me find the right mood and stay "in the zone" when writing. Therefore, it may be little surprise that the entire Air Awakens series was inspired by a single song: Clarity, by ZEDD.

When I first heard Clarity I was just getting back into writing. The song put a scene in my head of a woman at the center of a Windstorm and a man struggling with all his might to get to her. I began asking the questions posed by the song... "Why is their love insanity? Why is it clarity?"

The answers formed the foundation of Aldrik's and Vhalla's relationship and Air Awakens was born.

What writers/books influenced you?
I was eleven when the first Harry Potter book came out. So, naturally, that was a huge influence. However, long before that, I loved fantasy. I read books like The Unicorn Chronicles and Dealing with Dragons that had elements of fantasy and magic in them. One book that really sticks out from when I was older is Magic Casement, the first book in the "A Man of his Word" series by Dave Duncan. I loved this book and it still remains one of my favorite fantasies.

Any plans for future books outside of the Air Awakens series?
YES! A resounding, 100% yes! Though, I can't say much more than that right now. I hope to remain an active author for years to come.

What's the best part about writing?
It's hard to pick a "best part" because being an author really is so cool. You get to wake up every day and do something that you not only enjoy but makes you happy. But, I think the best part really is interacting with and hearing from readers. Knowing people are enjoying my work, hearing their theories... that engagement makes it all worth it.

Any advice for aspiring writers?
Write, write, and keep writing. The best, and only way to get better is by writing. You will write stories that you're embarrassed to look at later, but you will be better because you wrote them. Be open to critique and craft your stories with your whole heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment