Wednesday, June 3, 2015

The Lightning Thief Review



Title: The Lightning Thief
Series: Percy Jackson and the Olympians
Author: Rick Riordan
Original Rating: 5/5
Reread Rating: 5/5

Goodreads Review:
Day 2 of 5 books, 7 days

I first read Percy Jackson about 7 or 8 years ago. I had no knowledge about the Greek gods, I didn't know what any of the creatures were, and I was completely clueless going into The Lightning Thief. Percy Jackson has influenced my life in so many ways, I wouldn't be able to list them all. Thanks to Percy, I love reading. Without reading Percy Jackson, I probably wouldn't be writing this review. Thanks to Percy, I now have a passion for learning about ancient civilizations and their beliefs. I have a rather extensive knowledge on the Greek gods and the Roman gods, I'm studying more about the Egyptian gods, and I hope to move on to the Norse gods by next year. Percy has gotten me through a lot of ups and downs in my life, he's grown up with me and helped me fight my own kinds of monsters. I can't thank Rick Riordan and Percy enough for this magical ride that both Percy Jackson and the Olympians and Heroes of Olympus has taken me on.

With that being said, this is the first time I've reread The Lightning Thief, or any of Rick Riordan's books for that matter! I can't believe how much I'd forgotten! I also realize how completely off the movie was. I knew that to some extent the movie was inaccurate, but I didn't realize how inaccurate until I started reading. I absolutely adore the Lotus Eaters scene, I think it's a brilliant representation to their lifestyle. The movie, they had it all wrong! The Lotus Eaters are peaceful and kind, they would never force someone to stay against their will! Clearly, my memories of my first time reading The Lightning Thief were tarnished by Hollywood! So many important plot points and details were left out. I had even forgotten how young Percy was until I read the first page. I literally had to stop reading for a moment, look up from my book, ponder life, and reread the line a few times before it sunk in.

I'm so happy I decided to reread Percy Jackson and the Olympians (with fabulous new covers too!) and I can't wait to continue on with the second one later on!

Additional Thoughts:
Seriously though, Hollywood, way to screw up the movie for a relatively perfect book!

Next I'll Be Reading: Hexed by Michelle Krys

No comments:

Post a Comment