Friday, January 13, 2017

An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir - Review

20560137


Maybe 4.5

Great way to start off the year! Beginning was a little slow, but amazing once it picked up!
---
Okay, after further reflection, I decided I should go a little more in depth about the first book I read for 2017.

I absolutely, positively, with out a single doubt in my mind, hated Helene with a burning passion to the point where I can't even explain why without it sounding fake. She tries...way to hard to be tough. And I get it, she is, and in a world full of boys that aren't necessarily trained with boundaries and respect for women, she is forced into taking on a tougher persona even more than she would have. Yet, from the minute we met her I just knew she was a bad seed. And the way she interacted with Elias was just not okay with me and my disinterest in her and her life just went all the way through the ending and will probably carry into the next book.

Elias. Dear, poor soul. I did get a little tired of his 'taking the high road' personality where he looked down on basically everyone, but I got over it. He and Laia...I love it. I'm not blind though, I see the instalove, I can't ignore it, it's there, but it doesn't change the fact that I love them so much. I'm excited to see them in the next book without Helene there to interfere with my little mental image of the happy ending (Is that even a thing?).

Laia.
Honestly, not that sure what to say about her. Well, if I had one thing to tell her I would say "Your mother doesn't seem that great." Am I the only one that thought that? Based on what I know about her, she seems to have had a god complex, while her father was the real caring, smart one. Laia must take after him a lot, but her courage is probably from her mother's side. To a degree, I would compare Laia's mother to the Commandant. But enough about the mother. I like Laia. She's tough and on more than one occasion I was genuinely scared for her, but dang she can be stupid. For reasons that I won't bring up because I don't want to spoil, but if you read it, you know what I mean.

Overall, it was a great book. Truly. Quite excited to read more.






No comments:

Post a Comment