Tuesday, March 15, 2016

The Body Electric by Beth Revis - Review

Title: The Body Electric
Author: Beth Revis
Format: Paperback
Pages: 460
Rating: 5/5

24451538This is a joke, right? I'm missing the last one hundred pages, this isn't really a standalone, surely there's more, because this isn't fair. A story such as this needs to have more than 460 pages dedicated to it!

In the future, nanobots are a daily occurrence. Everyone has them, a part of everyone's life, especially when your name is Ella Shepherd and your parents are famous scientists. Ella's father is dead, killed by a terrorist attack on the lab he was working in and her mother has a disease called Hebbs Disease, which is fatal and causes the brain to deteriorate. Her mother has developed a way for people to relive their best memories, but everything changes when theory becomes reality. Ella can walk through people's memories, something that was only thought to be theoretical. Her life is throw into chaos and it certainly does help when a mysterious boy shows up. Ella isn't sure who to trust. Can she trust the mystery boy that has attachments to her father, but seems to have secrets? Can she trust her government? Can she even trust herself?

I've read one book by Beth Revis before The Body Electric, and I loved it, so my expectations were pretty high. My expectations were met. Ella is such an interesting character. She has layers of emotion and strength, but as the story progresses we also see her fears, which (I shall not spoil anything) I find very understandable considering the circumstances. I would have loved to see more interaction between Jack and Ella at the end of the book and every time they were together I did a mental happy dance, but at the same time made me want to throw the book at the wall, because it. Is. So. Frustrating. There's almost always action going on, so I just kept flipping the pages. All of a sudden the book was over. How did that happen? The science alone is enough to keep my mind constantly interested, but the twists just throw a little extra something that makes me crazy. I still want more, I can't believe this is just a standalone, this world has so much that it could offer and I hope we see more of it in the future.

Side note: Across the Universe reference, don't think I missed you, I saw you and I love you.






No comments:

Post a Comment