Friday, February 26, 2016

Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea by April Genevieve Tucholke - Review

Title: Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
Author: April Genevieve Tucholke
Series: Between
Number: 1
Format: Paperback
Pages: 360
Rating: 4/5

18693883I can honestly say that this was one of the most thought provoking books I think I've read in quite a while. It's also one of the first where I found myself disagreeing with the love interest (if you could call it that).
What would you do if you could make people see things, feel things? Would you use your power for good, spread joy and happiness? Or would you use it for vengeance and evil? Would you let it consume you? Or would you be strong enough to remain yourself?
I found myself asking myself many of the same questions. When I first started reading, I was kept thinking this book talks about the devil a lot...makes sense. I bet this is all about the devil being real. 
I'm not sure if I'm right. The book quickly introduced mystery boy, River, into the mix. Naturally, I automatically assume he's the love interest, because that's just what happens. He's mysterious, he's handsome, he's funny, he's rich, and he's basically the perfect love interest, right? Wrong. One thing that really got me was the way Violet (the main character) was able to shrug off all the red flags surrounding our mystery boy. Due to spoilers, I won't say too much, but River is an avid liar, which is usually a warning signal in every sense of the word, when bodies start piling up and things in the small town of Echo start to get darker, you would think someone would take a hint. Not to mention Violet slept in his arms without even knowing him a full day. Don't get me wrong, I loved every minute of their relationship, I just hated how blind Violet made herself to his faults. She asked questions, he dodged them, but they always ended up sleeping next to each other anyway, because how much does it really matter that you know a person? Apparently in Violet's world it doesn't. It even got to the point where River was making Violet do things, but clearly that's not much of a red flag either.
Honestly, the ending is what finally made me realize that I truly liked this book. It was intense and it made me so mad, but I'll leave that to the reader to sort out. All in all, I will certainly have to get my hands on the second book.



No comments:

Post a Comment