Monday, May 4, 2015

Beneath the Bonfire: Stories (ARC) Review


Title: Beneath the Bonfire: Stories
Author: Nickolas Butler
Rating: 3/5
Release date: 5/5/15

Goodreads Review:
There's not much I really have to say on this book. I was disappointed, but I think I knew I wouldn't really like it. Not only is it not in my usual genres, but it's a little too realistic. I've never been a big fan about a book of stories (other than LET IT SNOW). It's my opinion that a story is meant for one book, so when you take a bunch of small stories and compile them, it just ruins the effect. However, there were a few select stories that I took a liking to, therefore the 3/5, but with small stories, I can't form relationships with the characters, because the characters are constantly changing.

Additional Thoughts:
Yes, I am aware that a collection of stories is a very common thing. The Brother's Grim, The Tales of Beetle the Bard, and many others, but those are children's stories. I mean stories that are adult stories with characters that people want to connect with and have feelings and emotions about. I feel bad for saying so, but Beneath the Bonfire just didn't give me the connections I wanted with the characters. There were just so many and in some cases, I actually wanted more of some stories and less of the others.

Next I'll be reading: Tiny Pretty Things by Sona Charaipotra and Dhonielle Clayton

No comments:

Post a Comment